2011-06 Safety of Children
ImagineIF Libraries offer welcoming spaces that encourage children to explore, create and connect. Library staff strive to provide a safe environment but safety cannot be guaranteed. While ImagineIF staff are committed to helping children with activities and materials at the libraries, library staff do not act as child care providers or disciplinarians. Children are expected to adhere to the same rules of conduct as adults. Please refer to the Customer Conduct Policy in the ImagineIF Policy Manual.
- Parents, guardians and caregivers are responsible for their children while visiting any ImagineIF Libraries location.
- Children under the age of 9 may not be left unsupervised anywhere on the library premises. If a parent or guardian cannot be located, the police or Child and Family Services will be contacted.
- Children 9 years of age or older are welcome to use the library without a parent, guardian or caregiver. Parents will be notified if a child age 9 or older is not able to follow the library’s rules of conduct.
- Children who have not been picked up at closing time will be given the opportunity to call a parent. Children who have not been picked up after closing time will be left in the care of the police. Under no circumstances will a library staff member transport children in a vehicle or accompany them home.
- Organized groups of children, such as school classes, day care groups and tours, must be supervised at all times while in the library.
Terry Guidi, Chair
Library Board of Trustees