To better serve all library patrons, the Library Board of Trustees has established standards of acceptable behavior to ensure a positive, welcoming, clean, and safe environment conducive to library use. Behavior becomes unacceptable when it impinges on the rights of others.
Unacceptable behavior includes, but is not limited to:
- Disturbing library users or staff members with:
- Harassing or threatening behavior
- Obscene or abusive acts, language, or gestures
- Unreasonable noise, including loud talking on cell phones
- Behavior inappropriate to a business setting, such as running, fighting, or throwing objects
- Disrupting the normal functioning of the Library
- Inappropriate use of the Library premises or equipment, including vandalism
- Soliciting of any kind
- Being intoxicated or incapacitated by drugs or alcohol, or using nicotine products, alcohol, or illegal drugs on Library premises
- Interfering with others’ use of the Library
- Bringing animals inside ImagineIF buildings, with the exception of service animals (as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act) or animals used as part of Library programs
- Bringing a knife, unconcealed weapon or unpermitted concealed carried weapon or any other weapon into the library, 45-8-351 MCA and 45-8-352 MCA
- Engaging in any activity in violation of ImagineIF policy, or any federal, state, local, or other applicable law
- Sleeping in or on Library premises
- Bringing personal belongings that hinder, impede, or prevent the movement of another patron into, out of, or about library property*
- Bringing personal belongings, including wagons, carts, or hand trucks that do not fit under a table and can’t be easily carried downstairs during an emergency*
- Leaving personal belongings left unattended on library property
* These restrictions do not apply to items used for personal mobility, such as: walkers, strollers used to safely transport babies and toddlers, or wheelchairs. Other exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis by library staff.
Patrons will be asked to adapt their behavior to comply with library policy. If a patron fails to do so, appropriate action will be taken, up to and including permanent expulsion from ImagineIF facilities. Illegal activity will be referred to appropriate law enforcement agencies.
Revised: 10/27/94, 03/28/96, 10/03/96, 04/23/98, 03/25/99, 10/28/04, 04/09/08, 01/26/12, 12/05/12, 3/25/15, 7/21/22, 10/26/23
Dave Ingram, Chair
Library Board of Trustees