4004 Meeting Room Use
In keeping with the library system’s service priority: Residents will have safe and welcoming physical places to meet and interact with others; the Flathead County Library System provides public meeting space in the Main Library. The meeting room is available primarily to support library programs and functions that further the work of the library and by local community groups and organizations. This policy ensures that FCLS meeting rooms are available for gatherings, the primary purpose or nature of which is civic, cultural, educational and/or of community-interest. In accordance with the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights and its interpretation pertaining to meeting rooms, the library does not limit use of the meeting room based on the subject matter or content of the meeting or on the beliefs or affiliations of the meeting’s sponsors.
How to Reserve a Meeting Room
The meeting room may be scheduled through the Business Office at 758-5821, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on a first-come, first-served basis. The contact person must sign an agreement form before the meeting room will be scheduled. This person shall assume responsibility for the group’s use of the room. You must accept the meeting room rules in order to reserve a room.
The Following Rules govern the use of the FCLS Meeting Room:
- Users of the meeting room must adhere to the Library Rules of Conduct.
- All meetings shall be open to the public and may not be restricted to any particular group. With the exception of books and other resources sold at library-sponsored events, no products or services may be advertised, solicited or sold.
- Groups using the room are not permitted to charge registration or admission fees or to require a donation or purchase of an item as a condition of attending a meeting. Membership dues and voluntary incidental donations (such as coffee money or the recovery of photocopy costs) may be collected.
- All advertisements, announcements, press releases, flyers, etc. related to meetings must clearly state the meeting is NOT sponsored by the Flathead County Library System and must clearly designate the sponsoring organization.
- It is prohibited to use the name, address, or telephone number of the Flathead County Library System as the address or headquarters of any group using the library for meetings.
- The contact person shall be the last to leave the meeting, and last to leave the building if the meeting ends after library closing. The meeting room is in constant demand and time slots do not allow all groups desiring its use to have access.
- Groups will notify the library at least 24 hours before a meeting if it must be canceled.
- Reservations can be made for the current month, plus two months in advance.
- Groups are limited to reserving a meeting room twice per month. To ensure that meeting rooms are available to a variety of groups, FCLS may limit room use for particular organizations if abuse or non-compliance is detected.
- The room shall be made available for use as a public meeting room during FCLS’s open hours on each day the library is open for business.
- The meeting room shall be made available on a pre-arranged basis for blocks of time that allow ample set-up, meeting and clean-up time to avoid overlap conflicts.
- If a meeting is scheduled to end after the library’s public hours, a designated contact person shall be provided with instructions for securing the building. Meetings must end by 9:00pm. Groups may not use the room past the library’s closing time on or Saturdays.
- Priority for use of the room is retained by the FCLS for library or related business. In an emergency, FCLS may ask a group to cancel a scheduled meeting to allow for library use of the room.
- FCLS will not provide storage of materials for any group.
- Groups are responsible for taking care of the meeting room and are held responsible for any damage incurred. After using a meeting room, chairs must be stacked and tables returned to the original arrangement before vacating the room. If food is served, utensils must be washed, garbage disposed of and the kitchenette cleaned.
- Alcoholic beverages may not be served or consumed on library property, except at special events hosted by the FCLS Foundation, Friends of the Library, or library supporting organizations or associations. These groups must obtain written permission to serve alcoholic beverages at special events in advance by FCLS Administration.
- Groups must provide any necessary meeting equipment that is not available at the library. FCLS provides projection equipment, DVD/VHS player and a screen, as well as wireless access to the Internet for groups to use with their own computers.
- Groups showing a film must have documented public performance rights to screen the film.
- Community groups may book the laptop lab (5 computers) by contacting the Information Services Department at 758-5815.
- Attendance must not exceed the posted capacity of the meeting room, 48 persons.
- Groups must provide Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations when requested.
- Any use of the meeting room that disturbs regular library operations is not permitted.
Failure to comply with the FCLS meeting room rules will result in withdrawal of room reservation privileges.
- The Flathead County Library System reserves the right to deny use privileges should any abuse of this policy occur.
- The Flathead County Library System may not be held liable for any damage, loss or bodily injury occurring to persons or property affiliated with the scheduled meeting.
- Meeting room users shall be held liable for any damage to or loss of library property in conjunction with their scheduled meeting.
Branch Meeting Space
- Branch libraries in Bigfork and Columbia Falls do not have meeting rooms.
- Friends of the Flathead County Library, Flathead County Library Foundation, Columbia Falls Library Association, First Best Place Task Force, and the Community Foundation for a Better Bigfork may make arrangements with a Branch Manager and the Library Director to conduct after-hours meetings in library space.
Revised and adopted: 5/27/2010
Al Logan, Chair
Flathead County Library System Board of Trustees