The Youth Services team at ImagineIF Libraries plans and implements early literacy programs for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers in Kalispell, Bigfork, and Columbia Falls. Our goal in every Storytime is to connect with young children and their caregivers through books, songs, and interactive activities that foster early literacy and social emotional skills.
In the aftermath of our local annual Northwest Montana Fair, we had a fair of our own at storytime! We had a blast with fair-themed stories, and songs and activities inspired by fair food and carnival games. Come one, come all!
- The Midnight Fair
- by Gideon Sterer
- I Am (Not) Scared
- by Anna Kang
- Minerva Louise at the Fair
- by Janet Morgan Stoeke
- For this wordless picture book, we came in close to see the details in the illustrations while listening to background nighttime animal noises. This setup would be ideal for preschool aged-kids and older, but may be challenging for toddlers or a more fidgety group.
Songs & Interactives:
- Parachute Popcorn
- “Pop” giant pom-poms in the parachute over and over again. Big fun!
We listened and sang along to two songs:
“Popcorn” by Barenaked Ladies
“Popcorn” by Joanie Leeds.
- Action Cube: Fair Edition
- Roll the large, soft cube to randomize motion prompts, such as riding a rollercoaster or marching in a band.
- Sensory Tub
- Popcorn kernels, farm animals, tractors, and pincer scoops.
- Puffy Paint Process Art
- DIY puffy paint: mix equal parts glue and shaving cream, plus blue and red food coloring to make cotton candy colors. Popsicle sticks to paint with.
- Flaming Hoops Gross Motor Challenge
- Red crepe paper taped to plastic play hoops. Test your acrobatic skills!
- Skee Ball
- Cardboard, duct tape, laundry baskets, and ball pit balls.
- Popcorn Picker Fine Motor Activity
- Popcorn containers, yellow pom poms, and tongs on our light table.